Okay, I'm down to the annoying Finishing Touches stage of the process, but I've still got outstanding art, maps, and corrections coming in. The book itself is more or less done, and I'm pretty confident that the changes coming will be minor, Maybe this is the wrong crowd to seriously consider me postponing release until it's "perfect", but as it stands I have a book essentially ready to publish.
I know y'all are used to me doing a beta release, and most of you have come to see my grammatical and editorial errors in an affectionate light - I'd like to think it was part of the unique charm of witnessing the growth of a fantasy world, but that could be a complete rationalization. I've improved my craft and used two outstanding folks to improve the final quality of the prose. It's my ultimate goal to get to the point where I release a ready-to-read book up to professional publishing standards.
Thing is, I'm a self-publisher, and while my professional aspirations are high, this format is an emerging art. I'm willing to take advantage of the ephemeral nature of electrons to release a Beta product and correct and augment it for a hard release come July 1. During that beta release, Enchanter would be available for sale only, at a slightly reduced price ($4.99 as opposed to $5.99) and would not be eligble for KDP Select borrowing until July 1.
That's just under two weeks of having to suffer an imperfect product. I don't think that's unreasonable, and anyone who wants to wait for the finished result can do so. There's also risk in that. The book might suck, and early reviews could tank it.
So what do you think? And just to give you something else to stare at, here's the basic plan of Minalan's new gatehouse. It's unfinished, yet, as the final exterior hasn't been designed, but this is what the structure is planned to look like, peeking over the shoulder of Sevendor Castle.