SPELLMONGER BOOK 15 TITLE REVEAL

 Spring is right around the corner. Promise.

That idea was a big deal to our medieval ancestors. The changing of the seasons wasn’t merely an excuse to change your wardrobe, it was often the most desperate times of the year. The food you put up last autumn was doubtlessly running low, and the winter supplies you gathered were nearly exhausted by this time of year. Most medieval peasants were making do with foraging in the forests, harvesting the last bit of leeks or kale or cabbage from the garden, some hunting and fishing, and a lot of belt-tightening. Getting in a garden wasn’t merely a pleasant pastime, it was the key to not starving in the next few months. Late winter was a desperate time. The promise of spring was the promise of the first crop of peas and beans sprouting, the first lettuces popping up, and the first shoots able to graze a goat or cow. Of course, one untimely frost or endless deluge of rain could wipe all that away in a day’s time, so hope was at a premium.  

I’m reminded of that as I watch the news and hear the dire reports of war and conflict, civil strife and struggle. It is all too easy to forget how only a few brief centuries ago, the common man had little time for such matters, being preoccupied with raising crops and getting the stock fed and tended. Attention to world affairs were a luxury only the wealthy could afford. It wasn’t until we achieved a semblance of food security and then literacy that the majority of the population managed to raise themselves to a state where larger forces were worth consideration.  

I try to keep that in mind as the news provides a constant distraction from writing. It’s not easy. My productivity has been in the chamberpot for the last week or so. Sorry.

It doesn’t help that I’m working on the short story “The Mad Mage of Sevendor,” an interstitial entry into the Spellmonger Series. It’s essentially Minalan’s private journal, chronicling a few weeks after Hedgewitch, as he contends with the chorus of strangers in his head while he’s trying to mount a rescue, plan a war, manage a dysfunctional royal court, and create entirely new kinds of magic and enchantment with his hard-won knowledge. Some of you will be interested to note that I am actually indulging in a little experiment as I write this by actually rolling a 10-sided die to see which character haunts Min’s memory each day. That’s made this a very interesting, not to mention challenging, kind of story to write. It’s also being written as Min would write it, and any good writer will tell you that people write much differently than they speak. The other challenge is to write it without completely spoiling the next book – Book 15. Which I have finally got a title for.

That’s important because I had to call it something, and the first few test titles I tried just didn’t fit the book. But I’ve managed to come up with something. 

The title of Book 15 will be (tah dah!) Marshal Arcane. 

It reflects the responsibilities and duties Minalan undertakes in the prosecution of the war against Darkfaller, among other challenges. 

Now that I have the title, I’m pretty much forced to write the rest of the book . . . which is slowly underway. Not George R.R. Martin slowly, but Mancour slowly, which means it will pick up speed as I go. While I don’t have a definite release date, I can pretty much guarantee that it will be done before the end of the year. While I know that’s not nearly fast enough for most of you, it’s a long book, and I don’t want it to suck. It’s going to take time, energy, and attention to do right.  

That said, you’ll most likely see it before you see Winds of Winter.  

I’m also doing the rewrite on the second Gatina novel, Shadowheist, which is slowly but surely moving along. I’m also reviewing new art that I’ve commissioned and waiting for reports back from beta readers of the German and Spanish translations. And other things that the world is trying to steal my attention away from. It seems that the more I try to invest myself in writing, the more world events try to jerk me away from it, mentally and emotionally.

Case in point: my adorable sister-in-law finally received and delivered to me a very special birthday present, pictured below. She’s been constantly supportive of my career and is a jewel of a sis-in-law. She also loves Etsy. She got me these cool Spellmonger coffee travel cups from there for Christmas. For my birthday she commissioned this beautiful wooden box from an Etsy artist featuring cut-outs of covers for four of my books. She ordered it back in December, but it has just arrived.



It’s a candle holder, and it’s extremely beautiful. But you can’t order one, unfortunately. It was created by an artist in Ukraine named Elena. She is not currently accepting new commissions. She’s struggling just to survive in a war zone.  

When the world hands you poignant coincidences like that, it’s hard to stay focused on fantasy.  

As we all struggle with these difficulties—the economic turmoil, the pandemic, and the uproar in our personal lives—it’s important to remember that most of these events are things we can do very little, if anything, about. Because if you don’t have that mindset you can find yourself going a bit nutty with anxiety and grief over your powerlessness. It’s vital to recall that most of what affects us in our lives is things we have little or no control over, like war, the cycles of life, politics, the economy, and such. We must cling to the parts that we can affect, focus on the bits we can manage, and try not to worry about the looming existential problems of the world. Things are difficult now.  

But spring is right around the corner. Promise.


- Terry Mancour


For early access to future blog posts and all things Spellmonger, make sure to sign up for my newsletter here!

Comments

  1. Totally unrelated...but just finished 13, reading 14, after re-reading 12 first...

    Did I get lost or did Terleman get married to Lisette in 12? Because 14 is very focused on his squire...
    Or is he maintaining both those relationships while winning wars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure she married one of the officers in the former commandos, though I could be wrong.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the update. I am currently listening to the series. I had to do something, the thought of Ukraine and seeing the News was getting too much, your books enable me to disengage my mind from it for a short while, to give me the strength to deal with the next atrocity Putin orders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was waiting for the name of book 15 for some time, it's just perfect to describe what we're seeing in the series right now... By the end of book 14 I was so pissed I was taking my staff and going to fight Mycin myself lol.

    It's also great to know that I'll be reading Min's diary, I was very curious as to how he would deal with the voices in his head and this book seems to perfectly fit the answer to that question.

    I love the series man, keep up the great work and thank you for the update. Best regards to you and your family. Let's hope this war ends soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to say, I appreciate your work, and you have been my biggest motivator to writing my own book and potentially series. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can not wait I have your books on replay on audible.
    I on reading 5 of the complete series

    ReplyDelete
  6. the proud owner of every book you release on audible, I am currently on book 5 of my second listen while i wait for book 15. love this series and the work you do. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have time beating around the bush, instead I go straight to the point.... So to you doubters I ain't expecting you all to believe my testimony but only the few chosen ones by God. In a short summary, I'm here to tell the whole world that I recently got cured from my long term herpes disease, both the HSV1 and HSV2 through the assistance of Herbalist doctor Oyagu I pray God continually blesses Dr Oyagu in all he does, because he is indeed a very good, nice and powerful doctor. I’m cured of herpes disease at last! Wow I'm so much in great joy because I've never in my life believed herbs works, but meeting doctor Oyagu was an eye opener and he made me believe that herpes truly got a complete cure. I used the doctor's herbal medicine for just two weeks and I was totally cured from both my HSV1 and HSV2. I'm so excited. For help and assistance in getting rid of your herpes virus you can Call/WhatsApp doctor Oyagu on his telephone number: +2348101755322 or for more inquiries you can as well contact the doctor on EMAIL: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeeks! A lot of yall just need to stop having unprotected sex.

    Anyways - Terry - you're the man, man. Great series, great prose, great ideas. 10 outta 10 from me for doing what you do best. By all means, keep it from sucking, but I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete

  9. I was browsing the Internet searching for help when I came across a testimony shared by someone on how she was cured from Herpes Disease. I quickly contacted him to get the cure. I bought the herbal medicine from the herbal doctor [Robinson Buckler]. I took the herbal medicine for 2 weeks as instructed and i went for a medical checkup and to my greatest surprise i was cured from Herpes virus. My heart is so filled with joy. If you are suffering from Herpes or any other disease you can contact this herbal doctor today on this Email address_________________[[robinson.buckler@yahoo.com]].....Thank you Doctor

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some years ago I was tested for HSV2 positive and ever since then I have been taking different kinds of medicine but yet no improvement until i saw testimonies on the internet of how Dr.oise has been curing different people from different kinds of diseases, immediately i contacted him. After our discussion he prepared the medicine and sent it to me, which I received and took according to his instructions. Now my doctor just confirmed my HSV2 negative. My heart is so filled with joy, thank you so much Dr.Isai for curing me. If you are reading this and you are suffering from HSV or any other disease you can contact Dr oise on this Email address: Droisemudiamenherbalhome@gmail.com or you whatsapp him on +2348150276401 . He is a honest man
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100087236395197.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will keep referring you Dr. Ogudugu for the great things you've done in my life most especially the natural roots and herbs that cured me off HSV2 completely with no side effects using your meds...keep on the good work sir. Contact him via Email: greatogudugu@gmail.com , WhatsApp: +2348063739701 ,
    Website: https://greatogudugu.wixsite.com/website

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am cured from herpes finally

    Help That Really Work Fast,

    Contact him for permanent solution to herpes

    Robinsonbuckler11 (@) gmail.com……………………..

    ReplyDelete
  13. QuickBooks Enterprise is an accounting software is very famous in this world to operate every business process .Our technical team at QuickBooks Enterprise Support Number (855)756-1077 are available 24 hours to give you quick assistance for QuickBooks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts