Big Fat News Update!

Miss me?

I've largely been absent from social media for the last six months, by design.  Why?  Partially to cultivate a reputation for being mysterious and enigmatic (what writer doesn't enjoy that?) and partially because I've been busy.  Real busy.  Though I've technically "taken a year off", that largely involves publishing, not productivity.  Indeed, though I haven't released anything new in about a year, I've actually been putting in more time on Spellmonger-related stuff.  Pray attend:

First, my big announcement: I have reached an agreement-in-principal with Battlefield Press to license the Spellmonger Series for development as a FRP property.  This will likely encompass at least three (3) sourcebooks with accompanying campaigns covering various facets of gameplay on Callidore.  In addition, Battlefield Press has also agreed to publish the Atlas of the Five Duchies.   Battlefield is perhaps best known for adapting Eric Flynt's crosstime 1632 series for game play, but Jonathan Thompson has authored and published a number of other popular FRP materials, and I'm excited to be working with him and his team to turn Spellmonger into a well-conceived and extremely playable game universe.  While we don't have release dates yet, news will be forthcoming about that sort of thing as it evolves.  This has been a pet project of mine since the beginning, and I want to especially thank Sir Aaron of Schwartz for his hard work and support in the effort.

Speaking of Sir Aaron, if you haven't investigated his semi-official fan site over at Discord, I encourage you to do so.  While still in the nascent stages, Aaron has done incredible work in the set-up and administration of the site.  That is where I will likely be posting additional news, tidbits of lore, and even stories, and I'll occasionally pop by to see what has been posted.  I've uploaded several maps over there, too, so it you're looking for that sort of thing (as well as fan art -- I LOVE fan-art!) and speculative discussion about what the future holds for the Spellmonger universe.  Stop by and add your own thoughts and such.

More news:

While my abbreviated con schedule this summer only saw me at a few regional conventions, they were, nevertheless, quite productive.  As much as I would like to see a FRP adaptation of the Spellmonger Series, for a number of reasons I also want to see its development into graphic form.  To this end I've retained the services of a few artists to help develop the visual conception of the series.  Like, what do gurvani look like, and how are the different from Tolkienesque goblins?  Similar thing for Alka Alon, Tal Alon, Karshak, etc.

We won't even get into the Sea Folk and the Formless.  Baby steps . . .

I've also begun talks with an Undisclosed Comic Book Company to do a six-issue adaptation of the Spellmonger novel.  Details will remain mysterious and murky for now (we take our meetings in remote graveyards at midnight) but I'm very hopeful we can get something committed to paper and in production, hopefully for a 2020 release.

("But Terry!  We can't wait that long for new stuff!  We want new stuff NOW!")

Well, of course you do.  And why shouldn't you?

First, for the audiophiles among you, it appears that Podium will be releasing Enchanter sometime in January, and likely have Court Wizard out around March.  John Lee, after spitting out so many of my abysmally long works, took a short vacation (Briga knows he needed it), but production is back on.  Sales continue to be brisk.  Podium continues to be a stellar publisher, turning out impeccably high-quality work.  Tell your friends.

(For those of you unaware, Enchanter marks the first of a three-book section of the series, and it goes dark.  Court Wizard is told from Pentandra's perspective, more or less concurrently with Enchanter, and Shadowmage is told from Rondal and Tyndal's perspective, also more or less concurrently).

Want more new stuff?  Of course you do.

I just got back Sky Rider from the editor this week, and will begin the final re-write tomorrow.  I'm planning to have it up by December 1st, only eight months later than I planned.  It will conclude the Dara trilogy of YA novels (her next one will be more adult) and the next Cadet novel will have a male protagonist.  More than that, I shall not say at this time.  But look for the Kindle version of Sky Rider on or about December 1.

And now, for the question everyone wants to know . . . when will the next series book be out?

Actually, sooner than I expected.

Thaumaturge is more than half-written, and seems to be flowing freely, now that I've figured out what it is.  For some of you it will be disappointing: not a lot of action, not nearly as much as Necromancer.  Sorry, it's just not that kind of book.  It can't be.

Thaumaturge has to set up the arc for the next ten books, and as a result is going to have a hellish amount of exposition and world-building.  Think Magelord 2.0, in terms of story, so if you liked that book you'll like this one.  Book 12 will be far more action-packed, I promise.  But I have to lay the ground-work for several novels in this one, so bear with me if you're a action fan.  If you're a world-building fan, this will be a feast.

Main characters will include Mavone and Sandoval, a lot of Min, Alya, Astyral, Gareth, Carmella, Nattia, a little bit of Ithalia, and cameos from many other familiar characters.  We will see some new faces, too: in particular, Min's new lawyer, Lawbrother Bryte the Wiser, who plays a prominent role.

We'll also see the rise of three ugly Nemovorti in the northlands whose job it is to kill or capture Min at any cost.  Dradrien smiths forging magical weapons.  Road-building, market economics and lawmaking as devout religious expressions.  An exploration of Gilmoran marriage customs.  And the attempted thaumaturgical deconstruction of the snowstone spell. All in a frontier town on the edge of a war zone.

Yeah, there's more to it than that.  Promise.

Finally, I'm planning on reading excerpts of Sky Rider at Gallery 71 on November 24th as part of Hillsborough, NC's celebration of literacy and books.  More details as they become available.

More soon.  But that should give you something to chew on.


Comments

  1. Awesome News. I have turned blue holding my breath for a new book. I actually got my wife to listen to the Audible books on your long drive to Florida and Back and Ishi's Tits, she loved them and is now reading the rest in the Kindle format.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of news! Thank you for the update, Terry. I love that there could be two more audiobooks out by March and I can't wait for Thaumaturge. Magelord remains my favorite book in the series so I'm glad that we aren't done with novels in that vein.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as an aside it's Eric Flint, looking forward to the rest

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its about time ^^
    (I swear I check the blog every other day and now THIS! Did I miss something and we have early Christmas?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update. Now I can stop checking Audible every day for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet, i was starting to think you where dead. This is awesome news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Magelord 2.0 gives tingles in places. Woohoo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the update. Good to know when the next Audiobook is being released. For many weeks, I have kept a browser tab with Audible's Spellmonger book list open so I can compulsively check for updates. I've been reserving a credit in anticipation of Enchanter. Can't wait!
    I am also happy to hear that Thaumaturge will be like Magelord!! Great news!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How can you think about doing an artist’s rendition of the formless when they are, well..., formless?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! Dancing around the room with glee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm REALLY looking forward to Thaumaturge. I'm not blowing smoke when I say that this book is my most anticipated read forthcoming...and I do a lot of reading/listening in the genre...Weber, Sanderson (Next book in SL is probably 2 years away), etc. But honestly, Min and crew and this world is so very interesting that I can't wait for Sky Rider as well (guess I'll put on my YA hat, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Still waiting on the third book in the Tanith series. Those that are unfamiliar with this series, the first book "Prince of Tanith" was released on May 3rd 2011. The second book, "Princess Valeries's War" was released on July 25th 2011. Seven years of it's coming, doing ressearch, promises of it will be done before the end of the year have gone cold and stale. If you have not counted it has been seven years waiting on a conclusion to a story. I'm tired of hearing Mage fans carp about how long it is between their books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! Looking forward to the new audiobooks, and everything else:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heck, you're still FAR ahead of some of my other favorite authors in terms of getting books out.

    Given that you've already cranked out ten (awesome) books in a pretty tight time-frame, I'd say that a delay and perhaps a little break would be well-deserved (which isn't to say that I don't regularly check for a new book, but hey I'm greedy that way too).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I’m also waiting for the third book in the Tanith series. I understand that authors go with a best selling series, like Mage, for as long as possible. But taking a short break to finish an eight year old series might be best for everyone. First, it would finish a long promised series and, second, it would give the various new projects involving Mage extra time to mature. Putting a project aside for a few months let’s an author come at it with fresh eyesight and a deeper understanding of any weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disagree. We're all waiting for Spellmonger....

      Delete
    2. Disagree some of us are waiting for the third book in the Tanith series.

      Delete
  17. But what about the valley folk?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. can you give me the discord server name etc I cant seem to find anything. mind you its probably because Im looking in the wrong place on Discord. thanks muchly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://discordapp.com/channels/410296986563117077/448666256552230913

      Delete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Any plans for the skyrider book on audible?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I take it the next Tanith will not be out this year as was planned?
    Or next year no doubt.
    I mean jeez Terry Mancour if you have abandoned the Space Viking books just say so, its like every year you put it on the schedule say you have written another chapter and then its forgotten.
    I will be very very disappointed because I very much enjoyed the first two books and was really looking forward to the next but if its dead just say so.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Discord isn't so small anymore, we have over 500 members! Also, for those that like Terry's other series, I created channels for them on the Discord!

    discord.gg/muaE6x8

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love to hear back from you. Please keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Skyrider is up!!!
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L189NF8/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1543617764&sr=1-1

    ReplyDelete
  25. Any update on Traks's Odyssey?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Terry when do you think we will see book 12

    ReplyDelete
  27. I never would have thought Sandoval could be so whiny...it this Thaumaturge audio read he is so needy. I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  28. I dont think Terry uses this blog anymore. Just finishing up Thaumaturge. Loving it. If you do find your way back here Mr. Mancour, keep up the great work sir.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts